Fast becoming the most popular type of lettuce, Romaine is easy to grow and provides a large uniform upright plant.
- Very simple to grow.
- Sun, water and a little time and you will be harvesting.
- Lettuce will take some cool weather and cool ground.
- Plant the first lettuce about the end of April.
- Lettuce does like rich soil so keep adding that organic matter to all your garden.
- A little nitrogen based fertilizer early will give it a boost.
- You can keep sowing lettuce from seed all summer.
- Plant a row thinly seeded. After plants germinate thin out extra plants leaving one very 8-10 inches.
- For the hot days of the summer leaf lettuce will be easier to grow than head lettuce.
- Lettuce does not like to wilt so keep it watered.
- Stager the crop so you get a progression of ripe lettuce.
- Great in containers.
- Many seed houses have Mesclun Mix or Mixed greens etc. These are packets of mixed lettuce and other greens. These are best seeded in containers and can be done all season on a window sill. When they get about 5″ tall trim the top half for salad. They will regrow if trimmed a number of times.