Upright plants are vigorous and high, producing extra long type fruits, 35-40 cm long and 250 gram in weight. Fruits are in black color with purple calyx. This variety grows a high percentage of Grade I products, very fine quality. One of the most popular eggpants in Japan. Very easy to grow.
- Eggplant like warm sunny well drained soil.
- Plant 20″ apart and 4′ between rows.
- Don’t be in a rush to plant. Wait until ground and nights are warm.
- An eggplant planted the end of May will produce sooner than one stunted by cool early May nights.
- Watch for potato bugs. Eggplants are used in tomato fields to attract potato bugs before they get to the tomatoes. A strong spray from the garden hose on a regular basis will wash them away just as effective as spray.
- Fertilize early with a general fertilizer. Over fertilizing will give lots of plant but few fruit.
- Eggplants are great as the centre of a mixed planter. The flowers are fairly large and showy and the plant is 2-3 feet tall straight up with the fruit as its branches.
- Pick the eggplant fairly young for best flavour and smaller seeds.